Friday, October 2, 2009

EXPLANATION OF THE TOOTHBRUSH

Yes.

Some of you have commented on my holding a toothbrush in the previous photo of my fabulous bathroom/studio. The use of the toothbrush is actually a marvelous recording trick which I will now share with you all.

If you're a breathy/"plosive" singer like myself, there's no 'pop screen' in the world that will keep you from popping the mike on your p's, t's and in some cases h's and f's. Also being more of a theatrical singer I tend to really dig into my consonants and breathe into my vowels for dramatic effect. Great onstage....not so great in the studio.

So.

In addition to the 'pop screen', you can hold a toothbrush (or a pencil, or even your finger) in front of you and the mike. It dissapates the breath and gets rid of the 'pop' that will always ruin the best take you've done all day.



See....
ya'll just thought I was cray cray didn't ya!

nope.
well, not this time anyway.

more soon....
xo
dl

No comments:

Post a Comment