Saturday, September 26, 2009

PRE-ORDERING CDS

My Dearest Jumblies-

This blog has been the source of so many wonderful surprises so far, on this Solo CD adventure-- offers of help, advice, equipment, raw talent, CD Release Parties, donations, sounds and microphone expertise, etc, etc, etc…

it’s amazing and humbling- the generosity of all of you out there. 

Thank you.

Truly.

And another wonderful surprise that this blog has brought is that many of you have already asked to pre-order a CD. This is beyond thrilling (and yes, slightly terrifying) to me!

Yay!

Yay for simultaneously thrilling and terrifying things!

Yay!

It’s like a roller coaster ride that someone died on the week before. But you ride it anyway.

Yay!

I can't believe the subject of "Pre-ordering CDs" is even a post so early in the game but ya know what? The Universe has a way of shoving you into paths that simultaneously delight and make you want to crap yourself. It's true. I believe the new age books call it...oh what is it? 

Oh yes...

'growing'.

Awesome.

Bring it on.

Ok, so-- Pre-ordered CDs. Right. Not that I don’t understand theoretically what a Pre Ordered CD is...but the geek in me decided to be really sure about the exact definition before broaching the subject with you all. So naturally, I went to the most reliable source on the internet: Wikipedia.

Pre-order

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A pre-order is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released. The idea for pre-orders came when people found it hard to get popular items in stores due to their popularity. Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, before the release, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee prompt delivery on release, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. Additionally, high pre-order rates can be used to generate publicity to further increase sales.

Ok so……this is great, really. 

This kinda sounds awesome for everybody involved. People who want to Pre-order, can. And I can get more of an idea as to how many CDRs I should actually make, right?

Sweet!

So, obviously- if people are going to pre-order a CD then I should decide how much the CD will be.

I’ve done some online research and seems like the average “list price” for a CD by a solo theatrical/Broadway artist is around $17.99. Considering they most likely did their recordings with expensive equipment in fancy ass studios, with a bunch of people who knew what the fuck they were doing -- I can’t see myself charging that much.

I can, however- see myself charging $15 though. 

That seems fair for the extra amount of work and time it takes to do this all by myself. All the producing, PR, arranging, legal crap, not to mention the multiple takes of each instrument I play, instead of being able to have a bunch of people playing at once, etc.  Ok. So. I feel good about that price. How do ya’ll feel about it? In my heart, it feels fair and balanced.

$15 per CD.

I like it.

Not including shipping and stuff but…what’s that gonna be….$2.00 or something?

So.

How does someone like me handle a Pre-order situation?

I DON’T KNOW!!!

Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa haa.

Hhhhhhhhhhhaa.

Haaaaa.

Ha.


Ok, I think it’s pretty simple though.

How about this:

 

People who would like to Pre-order the CD-

Just send me an email at dlc@donnalynnechamplin.com with:

a)     your name

b)    email address

c)     mailing address

d)    the number of CDs you would like.


And I will start a list.

That's it.

DO NOT SEND ME ANY MONEY YET!!!!

Once we get closer to the date of the CD actually coming out-

And I know for sure this whole thing isn’t going to blow up in my face for (God forbid) whatever reason... 

Then I will contact you and send you an email bill for the CD order and however much it will cost to mail it to you.

Once I receive payment-

(check, money order, and yes- I will investigate things like paypal, etc)

I will send you your order as soon as I get CDs myself. 

What do you think? Sound good? If there are holes in ANY of that logic...someone PLEASE let me know.

Otherwise…it sounds like a simple little plan, yes?

So…

If you wanna pre-order a CD lemme know at dlc@donnalynnechamplin.com

Cool?

How exciting!!!

Wheeeee!!!

The next post will be about some actual music making, i promise.

Stay tuned for "THE MONUMENT song"

xoxo

dl

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment